Re: race condition in writing lilypond-book filenames

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: race condition in writing lilypond-book filenames
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:58:09 -0200

2009/12/23 John Mandereau <address@hidden>:
> Le vendredi 18 décembre 2009 à 00:38 -0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys a écrit :
>> We already have a plausible explanation, and a fairly simple solution:
>> use flock() in ly:parse-file on the .ly file.
>
> I think it's better to sanitize lilypond-book behaviour instead, namely
> fixing relevant_contents and make sure there are no duplicate in snippet
> filename lists passed to lilypond.  I'll take care of both things later.

I think we are in disagreement with what is causing the problem.  My
take is that independent lp-book runs (by make -jX) share ly file
snippets.  That is intentional, since many of the translations have
copied over .ly fragments.  If the fix is due to two lp-book instances
operating on the same content, then you cannot fix this problem
without some form of IPC - ie. locks.