Re: Grand LilyPond Input Syntax Stabilization (GLISS) webpage

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Grand LilyPond Input Syntax Stabilization (GLISS) webpage
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 00:01:50 -0700

On 1/2/10 6:44 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 07:18:51PM +0100, Wilbert Berendsen wrote:
>> I could imagine one other addition to the list of topics in Scope and
>> Limitation:
>>
>> - the values that are used as arguments to common used overrides. Sometimes
>> they are a symbol (e.g. #'around), sometimes a predefined variable referring
>> to a Scheme value or object (e.g. #LEFT, #all-visible ). The main trouble is
>> that for novice users it is not clear when there should be an apostrophe and
>> when not.
>
> I added this to the specifics list.  IIRC we have a doc policy to
> add #' to everything to try to resolve this exact problem, but I'm
> not certain if I'm remembering correctly.

No, the doc policy is to add # to everything so it will be a Scheme value
(strings can generally be LilyPond strings (no #) or Scheme strings (with #)
without any difference to the parser; numbers often can too).  But having a
' or not depends on whether you want to get the symbol itself (with ', used
for names of properties) or the value of a variable (no ', generally used
for values of properties).

We can't always use the ' or always avoid using it, as far as I can see.

Thanks,

Carl