Re: bends: pre-implementation issues

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: bends: pre-implementation issues
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 00:37:30 -0200

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Marc Hohl <address@hidden> wrote:
> Han-Wen Nienhuys schrieb:
>>
>> I am confused here.  Are you trying to implement the symbols that are
>> on the tab staff, or on the normal notation?
>>

> Both. But first, I want to concentrate on the pointed slurs in the normal
> notation,
> make that the default for normal staves *and* tablature and then (as

I wouldnt bother with the slurs at all, not in the last part because
your bends will likely break if someone ever decides to refactor the
slur code.

Just write a simple grob that is composed of two line segments to make
the pointed bend.  Have you already thought of how the spanner should
behave when it crosses a line break?  Have a look at tuplet-spanner.cc
for some inspiration (tuplet spanner is probably more complex than you
need; you can just have a right and left span point).

You'll probably need entirely different code for the tab version,
including different grob code, and a different engraver.  I recommend
worrying about that once the pointed-brace version is completely
working.