Re: Contributor's Guide on Website

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Contributor's Guide on Website
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 14:51:59 +0000

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 1/8/10 1:54 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> It's definitely not possible to do this on my eee 701; it might be
>> possible on my aspire one with a full-screen window; it might be
>> possible on my desktop with a non-full-screen window but it really
>> depends on how big the window is.
>
> However, the 2.12  version of the website meets this goal for me on every
> system I have (I don't have an eee).  Or it would, if a link to the
> Contributor's guide were added.  So a design goal of working within
> the same screen real estate as the Documentation Home for 2.12 would be both
> feasible (for the design) and functional (for me).

Don't forget that the 2.12 docs is split into the main doc page, and a
"developer resources" link.  If we split the new manuals page into two
separate pages (which I'd rather avoid, but I'm not ruling out), then
this task would be a lot easier.  :)

Also, on my system with my browser windows set to my normal amount,
the 2.12 docs cut off just below "thankyous".  Granted the lower stuff
isn't terribly important anyway.  I must admit that the new manuals
page *does* cut off important stuff.

Other than reducing the padding around the boxes (which could well be
done) or eliminating the "manuals for VERSION", it's not obvious how
else we could save space.  I'll keep on thinking about it, and in any
case once I've implemented a few of the other suggestions, it might be
better (or worse).