Re: CG chapter 2, first draft

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: CG chapter 2, first draft
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 22:26:56 -0800

On 2010-01-12, Mark Polesky wrote:
> Patrick McCarty wrote:
> > Most of the time, on GNU/Linux, I copy and paste by
> > highlighting the text to copy, and then middle-clicking
> > where I want to paste.
>
> For no explicable reason, I just assumed that wouldn't work
> in gitk.  But it does indeed.  Thanks.
>
> Incidentally, have you guys seen gitg?  It's kind of like
> gitk and git gui put together, plus/minus a few options.
> Download it and try it out if you don't mind.  What do you
> think of it?

Or compile it from scratch.  ;-)  It just took about 30 seconds, so
that's a nice thing.

This program seems very minimalist, which I would expect for one that
is targeted to a GNOME environment.  gitk is more sophisticated, so if
I used the GUI front-ends for git (which I do not), I would be more
likely to use gitk (or `git gui').

Though the colors in gitg for highlighting diffs are more attractive
than those in gitk.  IMO, this would be a nice frontend to open if I
wanted to casually browse through recent git history.

I have virtually no experience with any of these GUIs, since I prefer
the command-line approach, but I hope my feedback helps.

Thanks,
Patrick