Re: @address@hidden or @address@hidden ?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: @address@hidden or @address@hidden ?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 00:47:30 +0000

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 04:19:58PM -0800, Mark Polesky wrote:
> Graham Percival wrote:
> > Is there a way in HTML to prevent a line break?  If so,
> > does anybody want to add it to our init file, and/or get
> > it into mainline texi2html?
>
> Shouldn't @command avoid line-breaks and hyphen-breaks
> anyway, as a default?  Obviously it doesn't, but when does
> anyone want a command to casually wrap lines or get
> hyphenated?  I wouldn't mind if the standard behavior of
> @command (and perhaps @code) was changed in this way.

You'd need to take this up with the texinfo and texi2html people.
If they decide to do this, I wouldn't object, but I have a feeling
that this would cause problems.  They're in a much better position
to judge this, though.

> In the meantime, how weird would it be if we engineered our
> own @command/@code to avoid line/hyphen breaks?  I imagine
> it's a bad idea, but I might as well ask.

It may or may not work; you'd need to be careful about macros.
Particuarly in using the new macro inside other macros and
vice-versa.  Call it 2 hours of investigation.

And then we still return to the problem of texi2html not
respecting @w{}.  I'd say that fixing that would be another 2-3
hours.

Is it worth spending 5 hours on this?  My intuition is "no", but
if somebody feels strongly about it, they're welcome to go ahead.
I'd rank it as Low or even Postponed priority.