Re: compiling confusion (task cycles)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: compiling confusion (task cycles)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 06:42:42 -0700

On 1/23/10 6:34 AM, "Carl Sorensen" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 1/22/10 11:45 PM, "Mark Polesky" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Carl Sorensen wrote:
>>> I've never used make test-redo or make test-clean.  I'd
>>> like to have some clarification on what they're used for.
>>
>> I could be wrong, but it looks like `test-redo' accomplishes
>> (automatically) what you're doing manually in your step "run
>> the individual regression files..."  The CG says that it
>> will "redo files differing from baseline".
>
> Not quite the same.  In order to redo files differing from the baseline
> you need to first have a make check complete.
>
> When I'm working on a bug, the bug is demonstrated in a particular
> regression test.  I want to test that regression test (and only that
> regression test) until I have the regression solved.
>
> It takes a long time to run the whole regression test suite; it takes almost
> no time to run a single regression test.

Oh, I understand now.  I apologize for the confusion.  When I'm working on a
bugfix I add the bug file to the regression tests before I start work on the
bug.  But that's not how the regression tests are usually used.

make test-redo is useful when a bug fix has introduced a regression; the
object of make test-redo is to get it so that no regression tests differ
from the baseline (except the newly-added ones and spacing-check).

Now I can see where I will use make test-redo in the future.  I've not used
it well in the past.

Thanks,

Carl