Re: Documentation NR 1.6.3 Instrument Names

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Documentation NR 1.6.3 Instrument Names
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 16:35:38 -0700

On 2/4/10 4:15 PM, "Werner" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Graham Percival <graham <at> percival-music.ca> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 09:25:01PM +0000, Werner wrote:
>>> In the NR of version "2.11.57" I found:
>>
>> Why are you look at that version?  It's an UNSTABLE DEVELOPMENT
>> version, which normal people should not be using.
>
> I used this version in the time it was new.
> I looked at the docu aof this version, becaus I once downoaded it completely
> so
> that I had it completely offline with working all cross-references.
> For 2.13.11 I didn't find a possibility to download such complete docu-packet.
>
>> I sincerely doubt that the docs showed this example with
>> commented-out lines.  If it did, this was a temporary issue and
>> would have been removed in 2.11.58.
>
> Of course it was shown without the %
>
>>> But this doesn't take effekt for me.
>>> The new instrumentname doesn't appear at all.
>>> (Only the shortname, if given, that means without the %, see above)
>>
>> That's exactly how instrumentName and shortInstrumentName work.
>> Please re-read the very first paragraph of that subsection.
>
> I read it. But it's not clear. I my humble opinion the line
> \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Second"
> is nonsens, if it doesn't take effect at this place!
>
>> It works in 2.13.12, as can be seen in the docs.  I doubt that
>> 2.13.11 was any different.

I think that Werner has found a regression.

See Notation Reference 1.6.3 for 2.12.  When the instrument name is changed,
the first staff after the change shows instrumentName, and succeeding staffs
show shortInstrumentName.

In 2.13 it doesn't behave this way.

I made a change to the docs, but I think I'll revert it now, since I see
this as a bug.

Thanks,

Carl