Re: Patch: issue #659

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Patch: issue #659
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:16:22 +0100

Alexander Kobel schrieb:
Marc Hohl wrote:
Alexander Kobel schrieb:
I don't really know if I saw the "||-before-break, S-after-break" combination, but I think it makes sense to offer it since coda parts are often seperated by double bar lines when the "default" segno sign is above them. I'll see what I can find in real examples. I don't think I have anything more at my place, though, so I'll have to look through the repertoire of my choir. (Again, I can't remember to have it seen in any non-Bosworth & Co. scores...) I'll give you feedback ASAP.
Did you find anything? If not, tell me what you want to have as standard, and I will adapt my code. I doesn't seem that there is an overwhelming interest in the varsegno - which doesn't bother me, because *I* like the sign and will use it regularly as soon as it is released. So we both, being called the
"varsegno group" should be able to decide what we want ;-)

Hi Marc, hi all,

and sorry for the delay. As you certainly noticed, the weather was an experience the last days, and thus my choir did not have any rehearsals, so I had to wait for a look into our note repertoire.
Yes - tons of snow everywhere...

I did not found too much. Most parts have the plain "S" bar somewhere in between, but I found one combination of a segno and a "|:" bar line afterwards (once more Bosworth & Co.). This one also has the double bar line drawn through the segno symbol, and there's about the width of a double bar line between "S" and "|:". (It's a cheap old copy, not very legible, but I can provide you a scan if you want.) Yes, this really makes sense if there are several stanzas (with volta repeats), and the first part of the last stanza switches to a coda. I'm not sure how the double bar line would look in combination with a SpanBar, though - I'd guess it looks best if the SpanBar only affects the "|:", but not the "S" part.
I agree with you and hope that this could be easily implemented.

So, what do I think is useful? In the optimum, we should have the following combinations:

In-line:
- "S"
- ":|S" (repeated intro, e.g.)
- "S|:" (the case mentioned above)
- ":|S|:" (certainly unusual, but possible)

On a line break:
- "|S" ("|" end of line, "S" begin of line)
- "S|" ("S" only end of line)
- "||S" ("||" end of line, "S" begin of line)
- "S||" (vice-versa)
- basically the same options for repeats, i.e. ":|S", "S:|", "S|:", "|:S", ":|S|:", and perhaps even ":|S.|:", where the ":|S" is at the end of line, and only "|:" at begin of line.
Wow, lots of options - I'll see what I can do ;-)

"S" should be mapped to either "|S" or "||S" on line breaks - I'd prefer "||S", since this exactly fits my use of the traditional segno glyph so far, but that's just personal taste. In general, I have a strong opinion against the "S" at the end of the first line in break situations, because the reader is forced to do an additional saccade, but I've seen several scores where the traditional segno sign is placed at the end of the line. Anyway, it has to be offered, because things like \stopStaff followed by a "Dal segno al fine" have to be possible.
Yes, I think this is the only situation where this sign should be placed at the end of a line.

As for the X-extent, as I mentioned before, I'd prefer the segno slightly sticking out of the staff lines into the margin and having the "||" aligned with the right edge, but that's just personal taste - I could not find a print where "S" is used at the end of a line without a "D.S. al fine" text following, and for this both variants (staff lines drawn through the whole symbol, or just to the double bar line) can be found.
Again, I'll have to check whether and how this is possible.
One more remark: I did not test your current implementation in combination with clef, key or time changes. Is this an issue? It'd be nice to have a key change printed between "S" and a "D.S. al fine" text to remind the reader of the different key in the repeated part.
Not yet, but I'll do that once the options are included.

Whoah.  I'm afraid that might be more than you hoped for?
Yes - but when it's done, it should be done properly, so your proposals are very helpful.

This my take some time - I'll be back when the new patch is ready.

Marc

Cheers,
Alexander