Re: nice stockhausen excerpt

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: nice stockhausen excerpt
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 09:21:09 +0100

Valentin Villenave wrote:
> US-printed scores where still illegal in France when I was a student
> (that means less than a decade ago). Our teachers had to smuggle these
> when they went on holiday in the US...

1918 + 90 years = 2008, so makes sense ...

> In addition to the death of the author, one have to take the editior's
> year into account. Debussy might well be legally usable now, but we
> certainly do not want to take any chances (let alone *truly*
> contemporary composers such as Satie or Ravel, these guys you
> definitely don't want to mess with).

It's been interesting watching the things that have been happening with
Henle Urtext, who have been bringing out editions of relatively
contemporary works in the last few years (Berg Piano Sonata and Four
Pieces for Clarinet); of course, in Europe, 1935 + 70 years = ...

Alas for them, their Finale-engraved score of the latter is far less
attractive than the old-style engraving of the edition still published
by UE. :-P

Amusingly, they have also brought out an edition of Debussy's Etudes,
complete with a beautiful trilingual print of the foreword where Debussy
explains very wittily why fingerings are not provided in the work, and
the benefits of finding one's own fingerings; and then you turn the page
and see the work itself -- an Urtext edition, a faithful reproduction of
the composer's intended text! -- replete with editorially-added
fingerings as per Henle's house style.