Re: git repository with fixed history ready

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: git repository with fixed history ready
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:05:51 +0100

Il giorno mar, 23/03/2010 alle 01.49 +0000, Graham Percival ha scritto
> Could somebody translate for the git-impaired?
>
> - if I have no non-pushed commits, do I need to do anything?

Yes: scrap out your existing Git repo and clone the new one.  If you
have non-pushed commits, then save them in patches (and stash uncomitted
changes into patches as well), and apply them in the newly cloned repo.

> - does anything need to happen to branches like dev/waf ?  (again,
>   assuming that we have pushed everything)

Yes, they will have to be rebased on top of the rewritten history.

> - if we tell new contributors to remove their lilypond-git dirs
>   before the changeover, then tell them to run lily-git after the
>   changeover, will it work?

Yes, it will.

Best,
John