Re: \displayLilyMusic function

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: \displayLilyMusic function
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 14:23:24 +0200

James Lowe wrote:
Mats,

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> I would expect the information to appear in the .log file on Windows,
> doesn't it?

There is no log file created when running from the CLI on Windows. Only when you use the .exe (drag and drop or right-click context menu).
Right, but with your patch the readers gets the impression that he has to use the command line interface to see the information, which isn't true.

   /Mats

At least that is what I get on Windows 7 with 2.13.10

James

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
I would expect the information to appear in the .log file on Windows, doesn't it?

   /Mats

James Lowe wrote:
Sorry to post a reply to myself.

The thing here is that if you use the Lilypond.exe you DON'T get the output (apart from the notes being displayed in the PDF) so it seems I need to change the doc entry from

Displaying a music expression in LilyPond notation can be done using the music function
\displayLilyMusic. For example,

to something like

Displaying a music expression in LilyPond notation can be done with the music function
\displayLilyMusic, but only when using the command line. For example

Then the section is ok for Windows.

Regards

James

James Lowe wrote:
Thanks,

Then I guess if you run LilyPond at the CLI (on Windows anyway) with just this statement in the *.ly file you get

C:\Users\jlowe\Desktop>lilypond test.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.13.10
Processing `test.ly'
Parsing...
{ a, cis e fis g }

Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Solving 1 page-breaking chunks...[1: 1 pages]
Drawing systems...
Layout output to `test.ps'...
Converting to `./test.pdf'...

If I run it as

C:\Users\jlowe\Desktop>lilypond test.ly >display.txt

Then I get a display.txt file with *just* the '{ a, cis e fis g }' stated (including the braces).

If this is the same for Linux then I could remove the 'what happens under windows' comment in the itely file (as a patch)

James