Re: midstaff line = stem shortened?localhost/

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: midstaff line = stem shortened?localhost/
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:00:15 -0600

Mark Polesky <markpolesky <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Carl Sorensen wrote:

> > As I read Ross, the stem lengths I quoted before are for
> > standalone stems. I don't see any discussion of "optional"
> > stem lengths.
>
> I'll try to explain my interpretation: The footnote at the
> bottom of p.85 says:
>   "* These stems are quite often more effective at 3 1/4
>   spaces." (\stemUp a' \stemDown b' c'')
>
> Of the 5 red notes in "Ted Ross optional", these are the
> first, third and fourth.  I put a question mark next to the
> third (\stemDown c'') because I can't see any conceivable
> logic behind it.  Perhaps the asterisk over the c'' at the
> bottom of p.85 was a mistake?  (There are other mistakes in
> the book, so it's a possibility).
>
> The third staff-example on p.86 is also given a footnote:
>   "* These notes could possibly be 3 spaces."

Interestingly enough, my edition of Ross has no footnotes on pages 85 and
86; nor can I find the footnotes you reference on any page in my copy of
Ross.

My Ross is copyright 1970 by Chas. H. Hansen Music Corp.  I don't know if
that will clear up the mystery.

At least now I know why I couldn't understand your "Ross Optional" lines.  I
was wondering if I had gone totally brain dead.

Thanks,

Carl