syntax change for \cresc

From: Graham Percival
Subject: syntax change for \cresc
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:33:36 +0100

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Reinhold Kainhofer
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 20. April 2010 18:47:27 schrieben Sie:
>> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 06:31:11PM +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
>> > I'm beginning to think about the \cresc, \dim
>> > and \decresc text commands again. Shall we really wait that long?

Given that this change has been waiting for a year, and we're still
not even close to releasing 2.14, let along 3.0... and since we
haven't seen a surge of new users concerned about stability coming to
help us... let's go ahead with this.

>> Good point.  What was your opinion on \newcresc again?
>
> I don't like it.

With good reasons, especially the last one.

> -) \cresc, \dim, etc. are not even documented, so I don't see any reason to
> make so much fuss about these commands. In particular, the documentation only
> introduces \<,\>,\cr,\decr (which are all equivalent forms for hairpins in
> postfix notation). For text crescendi, the \crescTextCresc prefix setter
> commands are documented. But the prefix \cresc, \dim, \decresc commands are
> never even mentioned (I checked the 2.10, 2.11, 2.12 and 2.13 documentation).
> Only the ly/spanner-init.ly file contains their definitions together with the
> comment
>    % STOP: junkme!

Does anybody have any other syntax changes they want to propose?