Re: news item for new G clef?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: news item for new G clef?
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 02:17:42 +0100

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 05:41:02PM -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:

> On 4/23/10 5:28 PM, "Boris Shingarov" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 00:19:33  0100, Graham Percival  wrote:
> >> Entries in the Changes are completely up to individual
> >> contributors.  As a general rule, I'd say that when in doubt, add
> >> an entry.
> > I must have missed something -- I don't understand what you are
> > discussing.  Are you saying that when a contributor submits a patch,
> > the patchset should include an update to the CHANGES file?
>
> Yes.

No.  :)

> According to the Contributors' Guide, section 9.8.6 (under Adding or
> modifying features) " An entry should be added to Documentation/changes.tely
> to describe the feature changes to be implemented. This is especially
> important for changes that change input file syntax."

If you submit a patch that does something major, follow the above.
If it doesn't change the input file syntax, and if you don't think
it's major, then don't follow the above.

In general, if you think people should be aware of a change, add
something to Documentation/changes.tely.  That this is *NOT* the
same as the CHANGES file in the top source dir.  (umm, if you have
one... I'm not certain if that's still built automatically or not)

Furthermore, I'm saying that if anybody thinks that some change is
worth mentioning -- whether or not they authored that change
themselves or not -- just go ahead and add it to changes.tely.
Don't bother asking first.