Re: build errors

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: build errors
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:18:07 +0100

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 5:49 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I thought that make distclean would put my build tree in the same
>> state as it would be in a freshly cloned repository.

IIRC distclean only calls clean, not doc-clean.  I _think_ that you
can get a tree back to a fresh state by doing:
make doc-clean
make clean
make distclean

but I really don't recommend that.  If you use an out-of-tree build,
then all you need to do is nuke the build dir, then it's much more
likely that there's nothing left floating around.

(note: you'll still have an autogen.sh in your src dir, and of course
you might have modified source files)

> Do `git status' to find out whether there are still additional files
> in your repository after `make distclean'.  Of course, this doesn't
> show the files which are ignored by patterns in `.gitignore' files,
> and maybe exactly this is causing problems.

Since I'm 95% confident that the problem is a file(s) in
Documentation/out-www/ , "git status" won't help.

If you want to avoid nuking everything, you could try:
1)  touch Documentation/*.te??
     make
     make doc

2)  rm -rf Documentation/out-www/
     make
     make doc

If those fail, then pretty much your last option is to do something like
   find . -name "out*" | xargs rm -rf
(use with caution)

and then follow it up with a distclean.

PS: no, we're not accepting bug reports about the broken non-cleaning
aspect of our current build system.  If you want the cleaning done
right, do it yourself -- do an out-of-source build, and nuke the
entire build dir.