Re: order of engravers

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: order of engravers
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 01:24:44 +0100

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 07:15:23PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > When we deal with open-source volunteer
> > projects while we have that much stress in our lives, we all get
> > short-tempered.  I'm certain that you can think of examples from my
> > own emails.
>
> Sure.  But there is always the option to not reply at all.  That takes
> even less time.

I don't know about that -- when I write stuff to an email list, I
like to get at least one answer, even if it's rude/vague/useless.
If there's total silence then I don't know if anybody cares, or if
they're busy and planning a long rebuttal, or if the network
simply ate my email.  Sometimes I end up looking through the web
email archive just to get reassurance that the email actually went
out.

> And I was not entirely joking when providing Carl with a stock
> answer I consider more conducive in most of the situations where
> he would answer like he did.

I didn't take it as a joke.  For unknown users, I would propose a
brief sentence and a link to the new "help us" page.  That doesn't
really help for regular contributors, so having a different set
answer might be good for them.