Re: Why don't we get rid of \chordmode?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Why don't we get rid of \chordmode?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 03:01:55 +0000 (UTC)

David Kastrup <dak <at> gnu.org> writes:

> Hi, from a user perspective, chordmode is unnecessary and restricted.
> You can't combine different voices (in particular for adding bass
> notes), you can't write chords and bass notes together,

You can do this:

\context Voice {
  <<
    \chordmode {c}
    {g}

}

which, while it is more verbose, does put a bass note on the chord.

> you can't put
> non-chorded material in between,

Similarly, you can do

\context Voice \relative c' {
   c4 \chordmode {c} f a
}

to mix and match chords and non-chords.

> relative mode is not possible (like for
> chord progressions)

I suspect that it would be possible to add relative mode to chord mode,
although I admit I haven't looked into that yet.

> and so forth and so on.

I'm not raising this as an argument against eliminating chordmode, I
just wanted to point out that every thing you asked for explicitly (except
for relative mode) can presently be done in LilyPond.

Thanks,

Carl