[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Translation errors in German documentation

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Translation errors in German documentation
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 10:13:32 +0200
User-agent: Thunderbird (X11/20100317)

David Kastrup schrieb:
diff --git a/Documentation/de/notation/fretted-strings.itely 
index ecbf682..b181026 100644
--- a/Documentation/de/notation/fretted-strings.itely
+++ b/Documentation/de/notation/fretted-strings.itely
@@ -19,27 +19,27 @@
Dieser Abschnitt erklärt bestimmte Eigenheiten der Notation für
-gebundene Saiteninstrumente.
+bundierte Saiteninstrumente.

And so on.  Sorry, I have to disagree here: this is an anglicism because
there is really no generally acceptable literal translation of

In general use is "Saiteninstrumente mit Bünden" (possibly more correct,
but not customary would be "mit Bunden").

The term "gebundene Saiteninstrumente" (tied string instruments) is
actually accurate since frets came into being as pieces of string
knotted around an instrument's neck.  I don't know if this term is in
actual use.  If at all, likely by lutenists or gambists.
My recommendation would be to plaster the index with all possibilities,
but to use in the translation just "Bundinstrumente" (which is a rather
common term), or alternatively "Saiteninstrumente mit Bünden".
"bundiert" is, at best, a pseudo-academic substitution for "fretted".
I am not sure about the correct form to use here, but if I go to a guitar (or bass)
manufacturer to order an electic bass guitar, he will ask whether I want to
have the fretboard fretted ("bundiert") or fretless - the same goes for orders
concerning instrument parts, where you can buy necks/fretboards for guitars
and basses (you can buy them without frets and do the fret job for yourself,
this would be called "bundieren", or you have to change the fret wire, because it is worn out: "Neubundierung") - the term "bundiert" is (at least in the guitar
world) very common.

Oh, and wikipedia uses "bundiert" even vor Dulcimers, see

so while it may not be totally correct, it seems to be a commonly used technical term, therefore I used it in the translation. I can have a closer look to some examples in
the literature about stringed instruments when I am at work today.


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]