Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 90, Issue 84

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 90, Issue 84
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 10:51:13 +0100

hello,

Francisco Vila wrote:
2010/5/27 William Bajzek <address@hidden>:

My experience has been that getting the build system going on GNU/Linux
systems is, while not trivial, certainly much more reliable than on OS/X.
On OS/X, we're kind of on our own.  And on Windows, it's even worse.

But I thought that the LilyBuntu setup gave a Windows/Mac user a reasonable
approach to setting up a development environment.
I tried LilyBuntu using "Q" as my virtual machine runner. It took about 12+
hours to build

That's painful. It's a 10-12x factor relative to a reasonable time.
No surprise you gave up.  On a native Ubuntu installation (for
example), if something fails you can hopefully diagnose the problem
and try again dozens of times a day. Change your VM/computer/whatever.

Can I just say that before I contacted Graham to help with Lilypond documentation, I had no experience whatsoever with building code, downloading source and I didn't even understand what 'make' know what a 'git repository' was (I still don't really if I am honest).

However, I was able to (on both Mac (at Home) and Windows (at work)) install Virtualbox, install Lilybuntu as a VM (I just left it as it was, installed the VirtualBox additions and that is the OS I run day-to-day now) and was submitting patches (of sorts - with guidance) within less than a week.

Now I know you may say 'whoopee-doo-for-you James' but my point is that it really isn't that hard to set up even for a complete beginner.

I use a 1.5GB VM with 10GB of 'disk' and it has been very painless and thanks to everyone on the email lists here plus the Lilygit.tcl tool (see Contributor's Guide), submitting patches is very easy. The biggest obstacle for me has been learning the 'geography' of the source files.

I can even get a doc patch through first time by Graham now! ;)

James