Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 90, Issue 84

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 90, Issue 84
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 15:50:16 +0100

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM, James Lowe <address@hidden> wrote:
> From my own personal perspective (assuming I have the Lilybuntu installed).

Heh, perfect example of the "well-intentioned but misleading" advice
that this mailing list is famous for!  :)

> 1. Download lilygit.tcl - change permissions so I can execute it.
>
> 2. Double click it and then select 'get source'

if you type:
   wish lilygit.tcl
then you don't need to screw with permissions.

Granted, that requires a terminal instead of control-click (change
permissions), double-click... but you need the terminal later anyway.

Double-granted, your solution will still work; it's not like this
would screw up the build.

> 5. Wait for a while. I have docs.

As long as nobody messed up git just before you downloaded it.  We're
pretty good about this now, but I remember one poor contributor (a few
months ago, or maybe a whole year) who tried to start twice, and both
times he happened to jump in while git master didn't compile.  :)

> 2. cd Documentation dir
>
> 3. touch [manual_name].itexi/itely I have edited the relevant itexi file
> for.

It might be easier to do
   touch Documentation/[manual_name].itexi/itely
but I'd recommend doing
  touch Documentation/*.te??
instead.

(for the record, this point is in the CG and is completely cut&pasteable)

in a larger, "our development is mao'd up" sense, this step shouldn't
exist at all -- the build system should notice if a file has been
modified, and compile it (or not) accordingly.

> While step 8 I am told is a 'bug' in our build process,

It's definitely a "bug" in your email, since you restarted numbering
from 1 after point 5, making this "the second step 3" instead of "step
8".  :P

I'm not being completely silly when I nitpick like this -- checking
all these details is part of the difference between "ok documentation"
and "great documentation".  CG 1-3 is currently "ok" (the rest is
"poor"); I'm not going to start GOP until I'm satisfied that the
relevant parts of the CG are "great".