Re: Dependencies in Lilypond

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Dependencies in Lilypond
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 09:59:03 -0600

\On 6/8/10 7:46 AM, "Jan Nieuwenhuizen" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Op dinsdag 08-06-2010 om 12:55 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Mike
> Solomon:
>> 2)  If I can't, do you know of a functional reduce-row-echelon c++ or c file
>> that I can freely copy and paste?  All of the one's I've found are buggy for
>> certain matrices, but gsl gets it right every time.
>
> I don't but you may want to have a look at boost, IWBN to use more of
> boost, eg boost::filesystem and such.

Mike,

If you just need a row-reduced-echelon conversion for fitting bezier curves
through a series of points, don't go that way!  It works, but it's not even
close to computationally efficient.

I've attached a chapter of notes provided by Tom Sederberg at BYU, a world
expert on splines.  There's a trivially simple way to get a 3rd order bezier
to go through 4 control points, through the use of Lagrange Interpolation.
The Lagrange Polynomials that are used are independent of the control
points. See Section 6.2 of the attached chapter.

HTH,

Carl

P.S. If you have more stuff you want to do with Beziers, give me a shout.
I've taken Dr. Sederberg's class, so I'm somewhat aware of clever tricks
with splines.  That's where my bezier stuff came from earlier.