Re: Vertical spacing regression !?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Vertical spacing regression !?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 07:04:54 +0200

Joe Neeman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 20:23 +0200, Arno Waschk wrote:
>> can't we have correct heights say for every bar (which must be computedĀ
>> later anyway) with clever caching so we have them ready when the finalĀ
>> layout is made?
> No. For example, we don't know if a bar will have its clef displayed
> until after line-breaking. Also, the vertical collision avoidance means
> that in { c1^"long long markup" c1^"long long markup" }, we cannot
> calculate the height of the second bar without considering the first bar
> too (and the answer will change if they are on different lines).

Maybe I am dull, but we need the line heights (or skyline) for a given
line breakpoint sequence, and a given line breakpoint sequence has a
given skyline for each line.

Maybe the problem can be alleviated by not associating a fixed line
height/skyline with each bar, but something that is dependent on the
current breakpoint sequence being considered.

I have not looked at the actual code or algorithm yet.