Re: Auto-beaming infrastructure redo

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Auto-beaming infrastructure redo
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 21:51:34 +0200

On 3 Jul 2010, at 20:20, Carl Sorensen wrote:

The meter mentioned before, 12 = 3+2+2+3+2 with quadruplets, is very
popular in the historical region of Macedonia, on both the Macedonian
and the Greek side (though a lot seems to play it in 16 = 4+2+3+4+3).
There is a music example here, listening for especially at about time
2:00 and after.

I couldn't find the music example at this URL.

Typo. It should be:
  http://www.ethnicdance.net/ethnicmusic/www/play_bufskoto.ram

Also see:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leventikos

So here, to get subbeaming expressing the musical pattern, one might
want to write the meter as
  ((4:3)(2+2) + (2 + 2)) + ((4:3)(2+2) + 2) * 1/16

It is possible to sometimes have quadruplets on the 3s, and sometimes
not. For example, in the original version of Makedonsko Devojce, which
is in 7 = 3+2+2. So one might want ot have more patterns:
  3+(2+2) * 1/16
  (4:3)(2+2) + (2+2) * 1/16

Thank you for this explanation. But what I wanted is not a specific musical example of such a meter, but a specific example of the notes in a measure
and the desired beaming.

If you have quadruplets on the 3s, do you want to have the two halves of the quadruplet beamed separately, i.e. do you want to have a quadruplet bracket across two beamed pairs of 32nd notes? I wouldn't have expected that. I would have expected that you would want to have 4 32nd notes beamed as a
group with a tuplet number of 4 above the beam.

Sorry, I though it was clear that the meter specification above indicate what beaming one prefers. One could use both, depending of the taste of the typesetter. So I have examples of of Bulgarian kopanitsas typeset both as (2+2)+3+(2+2) and 4+3+4. In both cases, there are three groups with space between them. In the first case (2+2)+3+(2+2), the middle of the first and last group (2+2) have the second level bems broken up. In the second case 4+3+4, they are unbroken.

So as for the quadruplets, the 1/16 level within the 4:3 quadruplets could be similarly broken up or unbroken, depending on how detailed one wants to be with the accent subpatterns. (In the example above, in the beginning, they play it as though unbroken, but later, at time 2:00, they start to play it as broken up.)

If I want to have them broken up, I write as above
  ((4:3)(2+2) + (2 + 2)) + ((4:3)(2+2) + 2) * 1/16
If I want them unbroken I write
  ((4:3)4 + (2 + 2)) + ((4:3)4 + 2) * 1/16

In the second case, the 4 is the what I called the simple meter component, formally a primary accent on the first beat and secondary accents on the other beats.

So the + defines both a metric accent hierarchy and a beaming structure. So one could tie them together, only noting that in typesetting, different note patterns may use different + expression patterns.

  Hans