Re: Add \path markup command, and use it for \eyeglasses. (issue1730044

From: Carl . D . Sorensen
Subject: Re: Add \path markup command, and use it for \eyeglasses. (issue1730044)
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 12:14:27 +0000

On 2010/07/05 05:48:16, MikeSol wrote:

I see 3.5 places where the patch may need improvement.  1 is that
lineto and
curveto seem unnecessary, as they can be automatically detected by the
number of
function arguments.

For purposes of human readability, I think we should keep lineto and
curveto, even if they are automatically detectable.  But I also think
that even if curveto is detectable, lineto isn't because moveto has the
same number of arguments as lineto.

Two is that I try to use predefined lilypond commands as
much as possible when they exist - could the moveto's be calls to
ly:stencil-translate?

I suspect that moveto's could be rewritten as calls to
ly:stencil-translate, but then you'd need to change all the arguments.
And I don't see the benefit of it.  Both ps and svg have the moveto
functionality available; we might as well use their functionality as the
common calls, in my opinion.

Third is that I am wary of any loop and/or for-each
construct in scheme: I think there is a way to do this with
tail-regression that
dispenses with the loop and is more Schemy.

I, too am wary of loop and for-each constructs in Scheme in general, but
I think that in this case it works quite well.

Three.5, I think the extents are
off for the curves in certain problematic cases,

Certainly the extents are off for the curves; the control points bound
the curve but don't define the curve.  So the extents may be a little
bit larger than exact.

but that'll work hopefully work
itself out via this proposition, to wit:

I think the best way to move forward on this patch would be to work on
merging
its functionality and nomenclature into the connected-shape stencil.

If path and connected-shape are to be merged, I'd like to see the
resulting stencil named "path" and take the input that's defined in
Patrick's patch.  I think that path is a very user-friendly way to
create complex stencils, and connected-shape somewhat less so.

I'd be
more than happy to iron that out with you on the sidelines - just
shoot me an
email and we'll get that up and running.

I'm sure that you're good for this offer.  Thanks for doing so.

Carl

http://codereview.appspot.com/1730044/show