Re: Fwd: Music Glossary - 1.64 Concert Pitch

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: Fwd: Music Glossary - 1.64 Concert Pitch
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 11:22:49 +0100

Hello

On 09/07/2010 05:56, Peter Chubb wrote:

Given the variety of transposing instruments out there, I'd avoid any
of these details, and leave it that some instruments are
conventionally notated at a different pitch from their sounding pitch,
typically notated one tone higher (so-called B-flat instruments) or a
minor third lower (so-called E-flat instruments) than they sound.

And leave out the term `concert pitch' for this --- concert pitch just
means that the sounded A is at 440Hz, and doesn't really affect the
written notes.  I can play in concert pitch on my B-flat clarinet, but
can't with my Renaissance recorder (because it's pitched to A=460Hz),
despite the clarinet music being transposed and the recorder music not
transposed.

I'll wait until we have a consensus from those that know more about this than I before make any edits.

However once everyone is happy with some text let me know and I can add it to the documentation as required.

James