Re: annoying info issues

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: annoying info issues
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:57:18 -0700

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 07:23:08PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> Currently, if I say
>
>   info lilypond
>
> I'm forwarded to `lilypond-usage'.

About a year ago, somebody yelled at me for changing
"info lilypond" to be the Manuals node of lilypond-web.  I didn't
know (and didn't) care enough about info to really argue against
him, so I changed it back to this.

> If I say
>
>   info LilyPond
>
> I'm forwarded to `lilypond-notation'.  Is this really intentional?

No, totally unintentional.

> If possible, I would like to say
>
>   info lilypond
>
> and get to a menu which essentially is the same as the entries we
> currently add to the `dir' file.

I have no opinion on whether "info lilypond" should give you a
choice of manuals, or the command-line info directly.  I see
strong reasons for both sides of this debate.

> Additionally, the `lilypond-snippets' target appears in the top `dir'
> file, but this target doesn't exist for pure info files.  What's the
> reason to exclude `lilypond-snippets'?

No reason other than "nobody added it to the build system".