Re: Can't get a patch through because of weekly development releases.

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Can't get a patch through because of weekly development releases.
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 17:48:52 -0600

On 7/15/10 9:24 AM, "Carl Sorensen" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think that David's idea has some promise now.  Create a new branch, with a
> version that's unique to this branch.  Do all the changes in files to the
> new version.  Get the patch reviewed (and get the reviewers to ignore the
> custom version).
>
> When the patch is reviewed, and everything is ready to push, do some sort of
> git grep for the custom version, and pipe it to xargs, and use sed on the
> resulting files to change from custom version to current version.  Then git
> apply and it's good to go.
>
> The key issue here is having a custom version that won't appear anywhere
> except in my patched files.
>
> I'll give this a go a bit later.

I've created a very simple script that updates all the patched files from
one version to another.  It doesn't even need  a special version name.  It
takes my current version and updates it to the new version.  That, coupled
with an edit to convertrules.py, completes the update.  It takes about 30
seconds to do it now, so no more problems for me.

I've attached the script I wrote to the tracker issue 1185

If it seems OK, I'll go ahead and add it to scripts/auxiliar/

Thanks,

Carl