Re: Typos in English manual

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Typos in English manual
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 00:51:34 +0100

 On 31/07/10 22:50, Michael S. Morales wrote:
> On 7/31/2010 10:31 AM, Neil Puttock wrote:
>>
>> I had a vague recollection that this was part of the doc policy, and
>> it's certainly listed here:
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-09/msg00486.html
>>
>> * Do not use abbreviations (don't, won't, etc.).  If you do, use a
>>    comma after it:
>>
>>      blabla blabla, i.e., blabla blabla
>>
>> I don't know why it's not in CG though.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Neil
>>

> From what I've learned about using "i.e.," you can use it like:
>
> "He can read very well, i.e. [...]"
>
> So, the comma goes before the i.e., but not after because "est" (is)
> acts as a verb and it's not necessary. However, "i.e." sometimes also
> translates as "in other words," so a comma would be necessary there
> because it's a prepositional phrase.

You've just articulated what I was thinking, but a comma imho isn't
necessary after the prepositional. To provide a horribly stilted example
fully in English - "he drove a motorised conveyance, for example a car,
that is a Ford."

Do you put a comma after "that is"? Either way, it feels right. I'd be
inclined to say "don't stick a comma after a full stop", and yes I know
that the dot isn't really a full stop at this point but the sequence
"dot comma" still feels wrong.

Cheers,
Wol