Need some pointers for engravers.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Need some pointers for engravers.
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 20:20:34 +0200

Hi,

now that we have accordion push&pull symbols in Lilypond, I want to use
them.  Tracking things up and down other articulation code I found that
its not possible to make the accordion symbols regular articulations
(the script engraver will only work with symbols named "scripts.*").
However, it was unlikely that they would work well as normal
articulations: the bellows symbols should appear left of any scripts or
fingering columns.  So its likely one should use a separate engraver
working after the respective others.  There might be special variants
that are not placed over a note but rather over the bar preceding it
(directly after any rehearsal marks, I'd guess).

I likely need to write this in C++?  With a side-bearing-interface or
something (I am just regurgitating buzz words without knowing what they
mean)?