Re: Web: underlined refs in HTML

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Web: underlined refs in HTML
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 22:59:10 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Saturday, August 07, 2010 2:29 AM
On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 05:31:31PM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:
I don't understand what is meant by this TODO in
/download.itexi:

@item
@c TODO: duplicate to avoid underlined refs in HTML?  icky.
@ref{Unix, @sourceimage{logo-linux,,,}
@sourceimage{logo-freebsd,,,}}
@ref{Unix, Unix (Linux and FreeBSD)}

IIRC, doing
@ref{Unix, @sourceimage{logo-linux,,,}
@sourceimage{logo-freebsd,,,} Unix (Linux and FreeBSD)}

produced an underlining line under the images, as well as the
text.  That looked weird.

The current solution -- duplicating the @ref{} to avoid having
underlined image links -- feels a bit icky, because it's totally
mixing up presentation and content.  Granted, we need to do a fair
amount of that stuff anyway, but I was hoping that somebody could
add some CSS tweak to remove the underline from images, while
still retaining the "unified" ref:
@ref{Unix, @sourceimage{logo-linux,,,}
@sourceimage{logo-freebsd,,,} Unix (Linux and FreeBSD)}

That's impossible.  You either have two links, as now, or
one link.  With two links you can control separately whether
they are underlined.  With just one link there is no way to
underline just a part of it.

Do you really want the images to be links?  I don't see much
point when the title to the side of them is clearly a link.
The images don't look like links - nothing happens with hover,
for instance.

Server-side scripting would allow you to specify the link
only once and generate the two <a> tags required, but you
can't use server side scripting in texinfo.  So would a
macro, but that would be even more obscure that the present
duplication.

Let's just keep the two links as they are, or remove
the link from the images.

Trevor