Re: Adapting Lliypond Rendering Engine for iPad

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Adapting Lliypond Rendering Engine for iPad
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:39:34 +0100

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Feifan Zhou <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am currently looking  to work on a music notation program for iPad,
> and I believe that Lilypond would
> provide an excellent rendering engine for my needs.

I hope that you are aware that LilyPond is copyright and released
under the GPLv3.  Are you willing to abide by the terms of the GPLv3?
And more to the point, will Apple let you do so?
http://lwn.net/Articles/396535/

> As such, I have decided to leave most of the rendering engine as-is,
> and feed input as a Lilypond file, and
> simply use the resulting PDF.

Ok, but apparently apple won't let you distribute such an app on the ipod.

> Could someone guide me through the code,
> and where I can begin to hook up Lilypond to my project?

Make a file.  Call lilypond on the file.  It has nothing to do with code.