Re: What's with the spacing code?

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: What's with the spacing code?
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 09:08:44 -0700

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 5:13 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Wilbert Berendsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Op donderdag 30 september 2010 schreef David:
>
>> With the current code, a score that used to take 5 pages now takes 8,
>> really really spaced out.
>>
>> I don't see that we can release a version of Lilypond that takes up
>> horrifically more space than the previous not-skyline-based code.
>>
>> Making use of the skyline instead of the bounding box should never lead
>> to results taking more space.
>
> Strange, in my experience the spacing (esp vertically) is tighter and less
> pages are used most times. (An engraving of all Goudimel psalms takes 141
> pages in 2.13.10 and only 131 in 2.13.35.) May be something else is going on
> in your score? A long time ago I had very strange horizontal spacing problems
> (with large gaps) that went away when I used --disable-optimising at the
> ./configure command line.
>
> best regards,
> Wilbert Berendsen

Don't get me wrong.  Something like

\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }
\score { c }

is indeed squeezed onto a single page even though it does not fit at all
(it does not appear like any numbers of these scores will ever be put on
two pages).

How long has this been a problem? It comes from page breaks being forbidden all the way from the frontend, and I don't think that has been touched for a while...