Re: Doc: NR 4.1.2: Reorganize vertical dimensions. (issue2316042)

From: perpeduumimmobile
Subject: Re: Doc: NR 4.1.2: Reorganize vertical dimensions. (issue2316042)
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 11:11:58 +0000

In short: great work, push it.  Two slight remarks on skylines (I prefer
the wording in your answer on my post), and perhaps about Hooke's law.
But I don't have a strong point on the latter.

On 2010/10/02 16:09:22, Mark Polesky wrote:
Documentation/notation/spacing.itely:200: @table @code
On 2010/10/02 09:17:16, perpeduumimmobile wrote:
> Hm. As long as vertical spacing is not absolutely
> bullet-proof specified, I don't like to see this
> sections deleted. [...]
Are you saying you'd prefer to define the four keys individually
for each of the eight variables?

Okay, I withdraw...  I somehow thought there are places where markups
have their "origin" on the top, and others on the bottom, but this is
plainly wrong.  Looks like this is still in a flux...  But when we have
the natural choices, we should include them in the docs.  (Distance USA
- Portugal from L.A. ...)

Documentation/notation/spacing.itely:239: the combined items.
On 2010/10/02 09:17:16, perpeduumimmobile wrote:
> Yes, but this somehow sounds like a rectangle you
> can put between two staves or something, and this
> is _not_ correct (because padding specifies
> whitespace between the skylines).  I'm not sure
> why we avoid the "skyline" term in the NR; it's
> not too hard a concept IMHO.  But if we don't use
> it, you might think again over this sentence.

Well, that's why I used the word "unobstructed".  But I could
easily change it to:
   "the minimum required amount of unobstructed vertical whitespace
   "between the skylines of the two items."
Though that's slightly inaccurate, since markups don't have skylines,
as far as
I know.  But the idea may be clearer anyway.

I'd prefer this, but that's just me...

Documentation/notation/spacing.itely:246: reference point of a system
is the
middle line of the nearest
On 2010/10/02 09:17:16, perpeduumimmobile wrote:
> For markups, things are different (and yet to
> specify).
You mean code-wise, I presume (I did cover markups in this paragraph).

Yup.

Documentation/notation/spacing.itely:248: @code{padding} or
@code{minimum-distance} are not meaningful,
On 2010/10/02 09:17:16, perpeduumimmobile wrote:
> Yes, they are.  They can be stretched, and the
> resulting space will be larger than padding or
> minimum-distance.

"Yes they are meaningful", or "yes they are possible"?

"Yes they are possible."  I admit I can't tell you an example, but I'll
never say it will never be useful... ;-)

Documentation/notation/spacing.itely:264: @code{+inf.0}.
On 2010/10/02 09:17:16, perpeduumimmobile wrote:
> Again, it's a reference.  We can mentioned Hooke's
> law, don't we?

Okay, here we go... [...]

Oops, sorry.  I just meant a sentence like "stretchability is the
inverse spring constant in Hooke's law", perhaps in parenthesis; your
explanation is perfect!  It's just for those who already know the law
that they have the right (or even better) understanding from just one
sentence.  I would not expect a physicist's explanation of the law...

I feel that simply mentioning Hooke's law does little to help the
LilyPond user

Well, not each and every one, but some of the users are math- and
science-addicts, and quite a number of them will have heard of the law.

http://codereview.appspot.com/2316042/