Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 12:31:55 +0200

On 8 October 2010 09:14, Mark Polesky <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]
>
> This leaves:
>
> CURRENT NAME           PROPOSED NAME
> ------------           -------------
> top-system             top-system     (no change)
> top-title              top-markup
> between-title          markup-markup
> after-title            markup-score
> between-system         system-system
> before-title           score-markup
> bottom-system          system-bottom
> between-scores-system  score-score

I'm sorry to come come a day after the fair, but
I truly dislike the new proposed names.
What was wrong with the previous ones?

I find all these "markup-something" or "something-markup"
names very confusing.
We have markups everywhere : we use the  \markup  command
for TextScripts, which are _inside_ the score, we can use
\mark \markup ...  or even  \tempo \markup ...
We can even have  \score  blocks inside a  \markup .

These vertical system variables are usually somewhat related
to "titles" (due to a  \header  block), even if sometimes it is
not really a "header title", but simply a markup.  But even in
this case this markup usually play in a certain way as a title.

The previous names were quite easy to understand (although
it was a bit difficult due to the large number of such variables)
but I don't catch at first sight the meaning of the new proposed
ones...

Cheers,
Xavier

--