Re: convert-ly and lilypond-book

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: convert-ly and lilypond-book
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 07:37:21 +0200 (CEST)

>> To sum up: Keywords like `orientation' are far too frequent in
>> normal text to be handled without protection if convert-ly is
>> applied to lilypond-book (or texinfo) input.
>
> I'm fine with this being a command-line option to convert-ly.
> Actually, this could even be the default -- as long as there's a
> (CG-documented) way to apply convert-ly to the entire document, I'm
> happy with this change.

Unfortunately, I'm not a python guru, and handling balanced text
blocks with regular expressions is notoriously difficult.  Contrary to
Perl, which has support for that since version 5.10 (a special syntax
extension of the `+' operator and the `(?n)' construct,
cf. http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=660316), Python lacks this,
AFAIK.

There is the highly-praised pyparsing package, however, its license
forbids inclusion into lilypond.

    Werner