Re: problematic commit

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: problematic commit
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 01:03:44 +0200

2010/10/28 Jonathan Wilkes <address@hidden>:

> Well, no, I'm referring to Lilypond here.
> What I mean is that
> a) "\tempo 4=72" looks easy, but if someone
> asks how to get that tempo but have it
> display as quarter note = "ca. 72", as far as I
> know one has to have two two \tempo commands,
> one as above, and then followed with the
> "\tempo \markup" idiom.  Then you have to
> deal with why "\note" has two different arg
> types (one string and one number).
(...)
> I'm just curious in general how your audience
> has responded to the way in which some small
> details are tweaked in Lilypond.

Compare LaTeX.  No matter how crazy a hack can be, you can always
copy/paste the code from a document that already works and uses it.
Complicated things in a GUI can only be reproduced by someone else by
using the GUI, so in a certain sense, the knowledge of language-based
apps like LilyPond and LaTeX flows smoothly by the web, irc, email or
whatever.  Tips and tricks for GUI based apps consist on lots of
screenshots, arrows, red circles and the like. That puts me sick
sometimes.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com