Re: PATCH: applied default spacing rules provided by Keith O Hara

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: PATCH: applied default spacing rules provided by Keith O Hara
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:04:25 +0100

Am Freitag, 12. November 2010, um 15:16:20 schrieb James:
> http://codereview.appspot.com/3061041
>
> This is from
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-11/msg00177.html

Just for completeness, these are the settings that I have found to produce
quite good results for my orchestral scores (Choir+large orchestra, with a
deep hierarchy of the orchestral score, i.e. V1+V2 as GrandStaff inside a
Strings StaffGroup, which is part of a large system with simultaneous other
StaffGroups):

\paper {
   markup-system-spacing = #'((space . 4) (padding . 2) (stretchability . 20))
   system-system-spacing = #'((space . 0) (padding . 2) (stretchability . 50))
   top-system-spacing = #'((space . 5) (padding . 2) (stretchability . 20))
   last-bottom-spacing = #'((space . 5) (padding . 2) (stretchability . 20))
}
\layout {
        \context { \StaffGroup
                \override StaffGrouper #'between-staff-spacing #'space = 5
                \override StaffGrouper #'between-staff-spacing #'stretchability
= #4.5
        }
        \context { \GrandStaff
                \override StaffGrouper #'between-staff-spacing #'space = 5
                \override StaffGrouper #'between-staff-spacing #'stretchability
= #4.5
        }
        \context { \ChoirStaff
                \override StaffGrouper #'between-staff-spacing #'space = 5
                \override StaffGrouper #'between-staff-spacing #'stretchability
= #3
        }
        \context { \Staff
                \override StaffGrouper #'between-staff-spacing #'space = 1
                \override StaffGrouper #'between-staff-spacing #'stretchability
= #4.9
        }
        \context { \Score
                \override StaffGrouper #'between-staff-spacing #'space = 5
                \override StaffGrouper #'between-staff-spacing #'stretchability
= #5
        }
        \context { \Lyrics
                \override VerticalAxisGroup #'inter-loose-line-spacing
#'minimum-
distance = ##f
        }
}

What I don't really understand why the stretchability of the StaffGrouper in
staves/scores contexts seems to have a completely different unit than the
stretchability defined in the \paper block. I would have expected that if I
set e.g. the stretchability between the staves of a StaffGroup to the same
value as the stretchability in system-system-spacing, then all staves on the
page would be equally spaced, whether they belong to the same or to different
systems... It seems that I have to use a value ~10 times as large for the
system-system-spacing stretchability...

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886