Re: cueDuring and its various settings

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: cueDuring and its various settings
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 09:54:44 -0700

On 11/22/10 9:35 AM, "Reinhold Kainhofer" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm currently trying to make cue notes much better supported in LilyPond. In
> particular, it's not as simple as quoting the notes in a CueVoice. In real
> scores, there are several different options to take into account:
> -) Transpose the cue notes (usually by an octave, e.g. when quoting a piccolo
>    flute), already possible using \transposedCueDuring
> -) Add a the proper clef for the quoted instrument (and automatically reset
>    the clef to the clef of the quoting instrument)
> -) Add a cue instrument name (i.e. an InstrumentSwitch grob) to display the
>    quoted instrument name
>
> There might be even more possible options, but these are really needed in my
> scores. Since we have 3 different options, which might or might not be needed
> in a cued part, we have 8 different combinations of necessary option settings.
>
> If we follow the example of \transposedCueDuring, that will lead to 8
> different *cueDuring* function, which I don't think is what we want (see also
> naming problems, http://codereview.appspot.com/2726043 ).
>
> So, basically we then need a way to pass various options to the cueDuring
> command, but I don't know how to properly design this in proper lilypond
> syntax.
> In LaTeX, I would use something like
>     \cueDuring[clef="treble_8",cueName="Vl.1"]{...} % Uses a cue clef
>     \cueDuring[cueName="Vl.1"]{...} % No cue clef, only instrument name
>     \cueDuring{...} % no cue clef, instrument name or transposition
>
> I don't think we have anything like this in lilypond currently.
>
> Do you have any idea how to properly add options for the cueDuring command in
> LilyPond???

I think you define cue-during-details as a music property, and then do

\cueDuring
\withMusicProperty #'cue-during-details #(list '(clef . "treble_8")
                                               '(cue-name . "Vl.1")
                                               `(transposition .
                                                 (,ly:make-pitch 1 0 0))

{...}

I haven't tested this, but I think it works.  See
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/30213.

HTH,

Carl