Position of cue clefs?

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Position of cue clefs?
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 00:53:27 +0100

As you know from my previous patch (http://codereview.appspot.com/2726043),
I'm working on clef support for cue notes. Unfortunately, I found out that all
scores handle cue notes with clefs a little different, and I don't really know
what the modern convention is. Does anyone have some deeper insight?
To give you an idea, I looked at several instrumental parts at IMSLP anc
copied out some occurrences of cue clefs:
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/LilyPond/LilyPond_CueClef/

In particular,
-) the cue start clef is sometimes before the barline, sometimes after.
(Typically, if a clef/key/time change is involved, the cue clef comes after
the barline, otherwise before the barline; But that is not always the case)
-) The cue end clef is sometimes before, sometimes after the barline
-) If cue notes go across a line break, the clef is sometimes printed after
the original instrument's clef, sometimes it replaces it, and sometimes no cue
clef is printed
-) If cue notes start immediately after a line break, sometimes the clef for
the cue notes is printed on the previous line, but most of the times it is
not.

Of course, as IMSLP can only provide scans of out-of-copyright editions, they
are quite old and might not reflect the modern conventions. Does anyone have
some parts with cue notes and clefs by some of the distinguished music
publishing companies?

Unfortunately, Gardner Read does not say anything about clefs for cue notes
(just uses them in two examples!), Kurt Stone does not use a clef on cue notes
(but uses an ottava bracket instead!), and I don't have any other book on
notation...

Thanks a lot,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886