Re: ragged variables - paper{} or layout{}?

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: ragged variables - paper{} or layout{}?
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 14:50:02 -0800 (PST)

James wrote:
>> If you search in the NR for ragged, you'll find it is
>> pretty much interchangeably used in the paper{} block
>> and the layout{} block.  Is one correct and the other
>> deprecated?  Are both correct, and if so why?
>
> Something for GLISS?

I don't think anything needs to be changed, but others may
disagree.  As far as I know, there are six \paper variables
that can be set in a \layout block and still work:

  line-width
  ragged-right
  ragged-last
  indent
  short-indent
  system-count

There's apparently no such thing as a \layout variable, but
\layout can accept the six \paper variables above.  If these
variables are changed so that they will no longer work in a
\paper block, I think bigger problems would arise.

I'm still editing the NR chapter on spacing, but I think the
version in the repo is pretty clear on this issue.  The
latest change adds line-width, which was missing, and should
show up in Reinhold's mirror in a few hours:

http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/notation/the-_005cpaper-block.html
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/notation/the-_005clayout-block.html

- Mark