Re: Clarifying the 'padding alist-key

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Clarifying the 'padding alist-key
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 15:26:00 -0000

Mark Polesky wrote Thursday, December 09, 2010 3:15 PM

Mark Polesky wrote:
1)
padding - the minimum required amount of vertical
whitespace between two items, measured in staff-spaces.
When available, skylines are used in the spacing
calculation.

2)
padding - the minimum required amount of vertical
whitespace between the skylines of two items, measured in
staff-spaces.

Carl Sorensen wrote:
I prefer 2.

Trevor Daniels wrote:
2, but is "skylines" explained anywhere in the docs?  If
it is, it is not indexed.

Interesting.  I just assumed you'd both prefer #1, because
IIUC most items don't have skylines for padding.  For
example, do things like title/toplevel markups, lyrics, etc.
have skylines?  If not, I think the wording of #1 is more
accurate.

Well, it depends on how "skylines" is defined.  If it's
defined as a horizontal line at the extreme values of Y
for title, toplevel markups, lyrics, etc the second
wording is OK.

Trevor: when I `git grep' for "skyline" in the Documentation
directory, I get nothing, so to answer your question: no,
skylines are not explained anywhere in the docs.

So we have free rein to describe it how we like :)

Trevor