Re: Installing ddd on LilyBuntu

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Installing ddd on LilyBuntu
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 19:17:54 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Boris Shingarov" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2010 6:46 PM

On 10-12-12 01:13 PM, Phil Holmes wrote:
I thought it'd be interesting to install the ddd graphical debugger on my LilyBuntu instance. I downloaded it OK, but when I run ./configure I get:

"configure: error: The X toolkit library '-lXt' could not be found."

You are missing the libxt-dev package.

But, why do you want to build DDD yourself? If you simply want to use it to debug LilyPond, you can just install it from the repository. A lot easier, and will save you a lot of headache in the future.

Also, is there a particular reason to prefer DDD for C++ debugging? I find Eclipse CDT a lot better in any thinkable respect. (But then again, I am biased, being one of the founders of the Eclipse project).

The CG at http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/debugging-c_002b_002b-code says "As an alternative to running gdb at the command line you may try a graphical interface to gdb such as ddd: " so I just did that. I knew nothing about package managers until Graham replied. Following that information, I'm now happily watching a debug window :-)

--
Phil Holmes