Re: Change stringTunings entries from semitones to pitches (issue3842041

From: k-ohara5a5a
Subject: Re: Change stringTunings entries from semitones to pitches (issue3842041)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 02:25:44 +0000

I'm not a programmer, but accustomed to doing code review as a systems
engineer.

Change stringTunings entries from semitones to pitches
This lays the foundation for creating a TabKey grob

Presumably the idea is to store the correct spelling of the note in the
future TabKey, should anyone tune a string to des or cis.  Tell us if
there is a less-obvious reason.

I *thought* that this would make \transpose, when applied to the whole
score, shift the tuning as well.  When I tried your patch, though, only
the music was transposed and not the tuning.  I think that is fine; I'm
just jiggling our brains looking for side-effects.

http://codereview.appspot.com/3842041/diff/6001/Documentation/notation/fretted-strings.itely
File Documentation/notation/fretted-strings.itely (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/3842041/diff/6001/Documentation/notation/fretted-strings.itely#newcode477
Documentation/notation/fretted-strings.itely:477: A string tuning is a
Scheme list of string pitches,
Your \makeStringTuning allows us to proceed without knowing this.  If
you move the "Any desired" and "As a convenience" paragraphs up here,
with a bit of rewording and with the example, then readers are spared
the trouble of reading and then partially /un-learning/ these
paragraphs.

http://codereview.appspot.com/3842041/diff/6001/ly/declarations-init.ly
File ly/declarations-init.ly (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/3842041/diff/6001/ly/declarations-init.ly#newcode120
ly/declarations-init.ly:120: \include "property-init.ly"
the re-ordering looks nice, but any other reason?

http://codereview.appspot.com/3842041/diff/6001/ly/string-tunings-init.ly
File ly/string-tunings-init.ly (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/3842041/diff/6001/ly/string-tunings-init.ly#newcode28
ly/string-tunings-init.ly:28: (ly:parser-define! parser tuning-symbol
(reverse pitches))))
ordering. If we reverse here, the two methods of entering a tuning
require opposite orders of entry.
An arbitrary decision was made in 2002 to enter the tuning and number
strings in the top-to-bottom vertical order of the printed tablature,
and no inputs to that decision have changed.

http://codereview.appspot.com/3842041/diff/6001/ly/string-tunings-init.ly#newcode43
ly/string-tunings-init.ly:43: (make-music 'SequentialMusic 'void #t)))
Is it possible to return a PropertySet event instead?  If so, we could
call it \setStringTuning and define the tuning where it is \set :
\new TabStaff {
 \setStringTuning TabStaff.stringTunings  <c' g' d'' a''>

http://codereview.appspot.com/3842041/diff/6001/ly/string-tunings-init.ly#newcode96
ly/string-tunings-init.ly:96: ;; orchestral strings
Why bother to add more default tunings?  With the semitone method,
people needed help to get them right, but your patch makes it easier to
enter a tuning than to look up the name.

http://codereview.appspot.com/3842041/