Re: Text at linebreaks

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Text at linebreaks
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 11:39:50 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 11:01 AM

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 10:53:41AM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
It was just a normal score - the Finale of Act I of The Gondoliers.
And this is part of the point - it may be that you can construct a
test file that would impact performance more, but why bother?  On a
normal score with performers names, tempo indications, etc., as
textual markings, there's essentially no performance hit.

Ok, good point.  Perhaps the various changes since 2005 have
either improved the text placement, or require more processing
such that the text placement doesn't cause a significant
difference in performance.

This might be a good time for somebody to figure out other
time-saving methods -- I know that there's something you can do
with the page breaking to improve performance, but AFAIK it's
never trickled its way into the "speeding up performance" part of
Learning.

I'd quite like to go with a "default good output; optional poor
output but faster processing" policy.

See the performance results there. 9% hit when every other line has over-flowing text.

--
Phil Holmes