Re: make loses $(src-dir) part of $<

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: make loses $(src-dir) part of $<
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 16:59:07 +0000

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Highly odd make behaviour here.  We seem to have a problem when

After extensive testing, I found that:
- the first cp works fine, but the second one magically loses the
directory from $<  .  By doing "make doc" 5 or so times, I could
complete the build.
- this was completely repeatable by rm -rf Documentation/??/ and the
doing make doc.
- it was repeatable on current master, tag release/2.13.40-1, and
release/2.13.30-1.
- I know that I built the docs on this exact hardware and exact
version of virtualbox a few weeks ago (in the lilybuntu days)
- after wiping the disk image, installing from scratch, doing an
aptitude update ; aptitude safe-upgrade (which I did not do the first
time), the problem could not be reproduced.  At least, I tried two
full rebuilds from scratch, and didn't see the
previously-easily-reproduced problem.

At the moment, my best guess is that the kernel bugfix update that
Ubuntu made after the latest lilydev fixed something weird inside
virtualbox (and/or slow systems in general) that they broke between 2
and 6 weeks ago.  I'm not overly happy about this guess (it seems to
be clutching at straws), but given the range of hardware/packages/git
state that I've seen successes and failures on, it's the only
explanation I can think of that doesn't invoke magic gremlins.

Phil, could you try:
- completely remove your current disk image.  (keep the iso; just
remove the "installed" version)
- start again from scratch
- BEFORE doing the guest additions, update all the packages.  The
ubuntu software center might let you do this, otherwise go to
System->Administration->Update manager.
- after that has completed and you've rebooted, do the guest additions.
- try building lilypond from scratch.

If that works, then we'll get Jonathan to create a new lilydev with
the updates, and hopefully that'll be that.