MIDI remapping

From: c.m.bryan
Subject: MIDI remapping
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 10:34:29 +0000

Hi, I have an interesting question.  I know lilypond is not really
meant for playback.  HOWEVER :)

I am wondering if there is a way to hack the source to change the midi
pitch values which are output when it renders.  I want to do this so
that I can remap those values to arbitrary frequencies for microtonal
playback in a retunable software synth like puredata.

For example, say I wanted to remap the following note names:
c cis des d
so that when it is compiled, the following midi pitch values will be written:
60 61 62 63
or perhaps:
60 60.67 61.33 62

or whatever.  It really doesn't matter, since pd can map those to any
frequency I like!  All I really need is to set discrete values for
*each* accidental (no enharmonic equivalents) and 'white notes'.
Octave doubling is fine.

I don't know anything about pd's internals, but I have some rusty
programming knowledge.  I would just like to know if such a thing
would be possible, and if so, where I should start looking.  Thanks so
much!

-Chris Bryan