Re: Add Modal transformations (issue4126042)

From: percival . music . ca
Subject: Re: Add Modal transformations (issue4126042)
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 23:15:34 +0000

Might it be worth having some predefined scales, i.e. \diatonicScale and
\pentatonicScale and the like?

http://codereview.appspot.com/4126042/diff/4002/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely
File Documentation/notation/pitches.itely (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/4126042/diff/4002/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely#newcode823
Documentation/notation/pitches.itely:823: In a musical composition that
is based on a scale, a motive is frequently transformed in various ways.
wrap at 72 chars, please.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4126042/diff/4002/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely#newcode824
Documentation/notation/pitches.itely:824: It may be @emph{transposed} to
start at different
No @emph here, since the reader already knows about tranposition.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4126042/diff/4002/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely#newcode825
Documentation/notation/pitches.itely:825: places in the scale, it may be
@emph{inverted} around
Technically, this should be @notation{inverted}, since it's a musical
term.  The output is the same, but using @notation instead would let us
theoretically change the display of all notation terms at once, if we
had some reason to do so.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4126042/diff/4002/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely#newcode828
Documentation/notation/pitches.itely:828: Lilypond provides functions
that may be used to apply these transformations to a motive.
I don't think we need a whole paragraph-sentence for this.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4126042/diff/4002/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely#newcode831
Documentation/notation/pitches.itely:831: Any note that does not is left
untransformed.}
This could be rewritten with half the number of words, and a clearer
single sentence.  And since it's inside a @warning, I'm going to insist
on it.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4126042/diff/4002/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely#newcode838
Documentation/notation/pitches.itely:838: @funindex \modalTranspose
at the moment, we're writing out (elsewhere in the docs)
funindex \foo
funindex foo

http://codereview.appspot.com/4126042/diff/4002/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely#newcode840
Documentation/notation/pitches.itely:840: A motive can be transposed
within a given scale.  The syntax is
Remove "the syntax is".

http://codereview.appspot.com/4126042/diff/4002/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely#newcode851
Documentation/notation/pitches.itely:851: motive = \relative c' { c8 d e
f g a b c }
I've never seen it spelled that way; I've always seen "motif".

I'm not saying that this is necessarily wrong, but please double-check.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4126042/diff/4002/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely#newcode862
Documentation/notation/pitches.itely:862: Any scale may be specified.
Here is an example with a pentatonic scale:
Remove "Here is an example..."

http://codereview.appspot.com/4126042/diff/4002/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely#newcode871
Documentation/notation/pitches.itely:871: \modalTranspose ges ees'
\blackNoteScale \motive
WTM is a "black note scale"?  I'm a cellist.

What's wrong with \pentatonic?  or pentatonicScale ?

http://codereview.appspot.com/4126042/diff/4002/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely#newcode899
Documentation/notation/pitches.itely:899: A motive can be inverted
within a given scale around a given pivot note.  The syntax is