Re: PATCHES: 48-hour notice for note spacing and negative frets

From: Bernard Hurley
Subject: Re: PATCHES: 48-hour notice for note spacing and negative frets
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 19:04:03 +0000

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 07:42:21PM +0100, Xavier Scheuer wrote:
> On 3 February 2011 16:36, Mike Solomon <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Hey all,
> > I have scanned examples from Boulez's Third Piano Sonata, Elliot Carter's
> > Night Fantasies, Elliot Carter's Sonata, and Stockhausen's Klavierstücke II
> > & IV.  However, I don't want to go to jail for sending out a link to the
> > LilyPond devel list where these scans are posted.  How should I go about
> > sharing it w/ all interested parties & staying w/in the realm of what's
> > legal @ the same time?
>
> I could be considered as "small quotation" (or "fair use" in American law),
> isn't it?

I assume the examples are fairly small, less than a page. What I would do is to
make them as small as possible for illustrating your point. Then I can't see
how this can be anything other than "fair use". As a courtesy it might be worth
writing to the publishers and telling them what you are doing. It's a long time
since I worked for a music publisher, but I can't see them having any
objections. You can also butter them up a bit by saying they are "examples of
best practice"

 /Bernard