Re: Introduce Beam_scoring_problem::quant_range, for quickly filtering o

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Introduce Beam_scoring_problem::quant_range, for quickly filtering out invalid positions. (issue4129050)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 14:35:27 -0500

On Feb 4, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Mike Solomon wrote:

On Feb 4, 2011, at 10:19 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:08 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
LGTM, but I can't do a regtest today :(

http://codereview.appspot.com/4129050/diff/1/lily/beam-quanting.cc
File lily/beam-quanting.cc (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/4129050/diff/1/lily/beam-quanting.cc#newcode215
lily/beam-quanting.cc:215: }
Very cool stuff!
I won't have time to do a regtest today, but I see what you're doing and
it makes a lot of sense.
One suggestion: perhaps we should create an enum:
enum Stem_dir_scenarios { ALL_UP, ALL_DOWN, DOWN_TO_UP, UP_TO_DOWN,
WACKY } that provides a tag for the beam which is then used in this
function.  My rationale is as follows:

It's for dealing with UP/UP and DOWN/DOWN configs for the outer stems.
Collisions that fall below (for UP/UP) the edges of quant_range will
never really collide.  UP/UP and DOWN/DOWN are the normal
configurations, so they would account for 99% of the beam cases.

True, although I think it's important to account for all beaming cases if possible.  My old collision code used to work with first_normal_stem and last_normal_stem, but the problem I ran into is that if there are stems in the interior that go in directions other than these (for example, if the beam stems are down [ up up up up up up up down ], which happens a lot in Debussy), looking at just these stems does not reflect what's actually going on w/ the beam.  I don't think accounting for all beam cases adds significant overhead to the code: if anything, difficult beaming can simply revert to the old non-optimized behavior (or a variant of it).

Cheers,
MS

I just integrated all of my work into Han-Wen's new quanting stuff.  None of it seems to be broken - all of the collisions are still avoided.

Please disregard the previous Rietveld issue on this subject.

Cheers,
MS